It was her first time walking home alone and Zira Fell was definitely lost. She didn't have a phone, given they were the portal to all evil in this world and certainly not used outside of calls and calculator functions. She did have a map. Hand-drawn by her brother, which made zero sense and had some oddly specific locations on it that she couldn't find to save her life.
With a frown, she paused and stared at the poorly drawn map. This was just ridiculous. She really needed to get a proper phone with google and the like so she could do what the others seemed to do. Barty had told her that this was the plan going forward if she wanted to live in the real world. And it seemed awfully wise.
This was definitely not working. Did Gabriel even know where she was supposed to go? What on Earth was the 'sinful place, AVOID!' and where was it? She needed to find it to find the crossing that lead to the 'cinema - don't do in'. And from there, it was a squiggly, confusing line onwards to home.
Maybe she should just call Barty but that was embarrassing. Who couldn't find their way home? She looked at the street signs for a moment and then looked for the nearest person she could approach. Ah! A fellow female. Excellent.
"...don't know." Help with what, that was the question. Crowley looked her over and wondered whether she was headed to a renaissance fair. Regency fair? Something out of another century, anyway. Something a little strange about the fashion. But then, who was she to judge?
"What do you need help with?" It was only now, after taking a step closer, that she realised the weirdly drawn thing the girl was holding was supposed to be a map. Ah, all right. That explained it. "Can't find your way around?"
Crowley tilted her head to get a better look at the map, immediately frowning. "Not surprised. Doesn't have the best sense of orientation, whoever gave you that map."
"Yes, well, no. Afraid not. I was just wondering if you could be a darling and tell me where the cinema is." She really wasn't sure what the sinful place was or how to even ask about it without sounding insane. She knew she lived a very unconventional life and she didn't really want to come across too much like her brothers. "I don't usually walk home. It's my first time coming from here to home. Usually I get a ride."
She looked around the streets and then peered off into the distance, squinting. "I've never had to navigate and today is the day I've learned that I'm quite poor at it."
Zira laughed and then smiled at Crowley. There was no side-eyeing, no concern, no worry. Just open friendliness.
"Er, there's a cinema not far from here... Think it's around a corner or two, down a few blocks." Crowley didn't often venture there, so she wasn't entirely certain, but she at least had a vague idea. A vague idea that this map didn't help clear up. Did it really say 'sinful place' on there?
She inspected the map for a few moments longer and then looked up, somehow catching the girl's eyes. Damn. What was that look in them? So trusting. She couldn't remember anyone ever looking at her like that, it was strange. Warming somehow. "If you want I can walk you home."
What.
"Just tell me your address, we can use my phone." She had already pulled out her phone. She was holding it out to the absolute stranger whose smile lit up the world. What was happening?
"Really?" Zira's eyes lit up and she smiled even brighter now. "Oh, that would be nice! If it's not trouble, please don't let me trouble you. I would really appreciate any help."
With a smile, she took the phone and put in the location of her home without a moment of doubt or concern that she was giving her home address to a stranger. "We don't have to go all the way but if you could put me on the right track, I'd be tickled pink."
Handing the phone back, Zira looked at it curiously as Crowley started to find her location. "I'm Zira, by the way. I'm relatively new here."
"I'm Crowley. I'm not new." Zira was an interesting name. Beautiful, she supposed, which seemed to fit the girl. She took her phone back and then started walking the assigned path, still trying to parse out why this had happened. Why exactly had she offered to walk a complete stranger home? Why was her heart beating so fast? Something about that smile. That openness. Crowley supposed there was no harm in being nice.
And taking care of someone who trusted strangers so easily and said things like 'tickled pink'? That was definitely nice. "It's a bit of a walk."
It was forty minutes. Hell. "How come you're not getting a ride today?"
"Well, I fancied a walk and I hadn't really gotten to know the surroundings so I said I would take myself home. One of my brother usually picks me up but its such a silly thing to do when I can make it myself." That and she had lied. Yes, yes, a truly terrible thing to do but she really, really wanted to try this herself. She had told Gabriel she would be home late because of class and Barty would drop her off. A cunning ruse!
Not that they were happy with Barty dropping her off either but it was the lesser of two evils.
"My brothers are a little bit overprotective. For some reason, they seem to worry about me." Zira seemed utterly baffled by as she put her map away and proceeded to walk along with a total stranger, entirely happily. "Do you go to school around here?"
"Yeah, I go to college. And I work at the flower shop down the road." Now this odd sunshine of a girl had her volunteer information as if that was a normal thing to do. What was happening? "I'm trying to get my English and Math."
Here was hoping that was going to go well this time. "I reckon you've already got all that. What are you taking at school?" Probably something smart and proper. Whatever that was. Needlepoint? Crowley had no idea.
It was an interesting thought. Overprotective brothers. Crowley would be happy never to see any of her siblings again.
"Oh yes, I got my maths and English. It was difficult though, I could never find a quiet space to do my work." And they were always on her about not studying too much. No one wanted to marry a brainy girl. Though she didn't agree with that. Some must. And if no one did, maybe she'd be the first. "I'm studying the odd thing here and there at the college. Nothing too exciting!"
She hadn't told her family that she had dropped religious studies and philosophy in favour business, English literature and economics. It felt like a dirty secret she had but she had plans in her head and she really didn't want to waste time. She may never get to university but she could at least get A levels.
"I'm hoping to one day -- well, you can't tell anyone this, not that you would, of course but -- one day I want to open a bookshop. So I'm already planning ahead." There was a nervous laugh as she toyed with the buttons on her coat. "My family wouldn't approve but I've always wanted one. I do love books. Don't you?"
Barty was waiting, sitting at a table and checking his phone. He looked up whenever the door opened, quickly scanning whoever walked through. So far, no one of interest had come in. When he finally spotted Bill, he lowered his phone and lifted his hand instead, waving her over.
Clearly not a fan of being punctual then. Ah, well. Would have been a shock with someone like that. "Are you hungry? They've got food here."
She sure looked as if she could use a decent meal.
Bill was never on time, she liked to think of it as part of her charm and not part of her carelessness. She had a big coat on over her, that had clearly seen better days and didn't fit her in the slightest but hey, it was warm. And it allowed her to dress in relatively thin and tight clothes. A girl had to be sexy if she wanted to do anything with a guy and when she wanted to pick someone up, it was mandatory. It wasn't her style but she knew what game she had to play.
Coming over to Barty, she smiled at him. "Sorry I'm late, a girl has to look her best and all that."
Pulling out a chair, she dropped down and shrugged out of her coat, leaning forward on the table. "I could eat." She assumed it was bar food so nothing too fancy. "Do they do anything fun?"
"I don't know. They've something called hot green super sauce, that sounds like a potential health hazard." Super just wasn't really an adjective he associated with food in any positive way, but whatever. "I've had the flatbread before, that's decent."
There, that was his endorsement. He glanced at the menu and moved it over so Bill could have a look. "Can you handle spicy food? If not, go with the flatbread or the halloumi fries."
He assumed it was understood that he was paying, but he clarified anyway. "My treat."
"What is a flatbread?" Was it just bread someone flattened? Why was that something you charged for? Should be cheap for crushing the bread and all. Or was it a new thing people were doing. "I'll have the ... the fries." What was halloumi? She had no idea half of the words he said so she just went with what she knew. "I can try the super sauce with them, I like spicy."
She was so-so on it but for some reason, it always impressed men when she ate spicy stuff so she had built up a resistance.
"I like a boy who treats." It was nice. Real nice. It had been a while since a boy had paid for her. "What did I do to get that lucky?"
"Flatbread is a type of bread that's made to be flat. They can be pretty good." And he wasn't entirely certain whether he trusted her ability to handle spice, but whatever. He ordered the flatbread and the halloumi fries - with the super sauce - and two drinks for them before looking at Bill again and smiling.
"You've not done anything yet. But I make a decent amount of money at my job, seems a waste not to use it to get laid."
There, no false pretence necessary. "Anyway. Don't always feel like eating by myself. You looked interesting." He looked her over again and shrugged. "Hot. Makes for good company."
In some ways, Bill liked that Barty was open about it. It was hard for her, always being led on by boys who didn't really want her. If it was a fling, it was a fling and she could add some distance. Holden said Barty was training for a lawyer and he had cash so why the hell would a guy like that want to date her? He wouldn't. But fucking, that she understood. "I am pretty. Makes up for weak conversation, don't you think? It's useful. Men never truly get bored of me so I usually get what I want in the end."
Bill batted her eyelids playfully and leaned back in her chair, looking around the place before looking back at Barty. "I pegged you as gay, most guys that buy from Holden's place are. You don't get many bi guys. It's weird, isn't it? I meet a dime a dozen bi girls but so few bi guys."
It didn't click for her. Maybe guys were just shyer about some things. "Trans boys tend to be pretty flex too but there's something about guys and swinging either direction."
"They think it makes them less. Goes either way. Most gay blokes don't want anyone who could leave them for a woman, women don't want anyone who's ever been into dick." Barty shrugged, clearly not concerned himself. "It's arbitrary, if you ask me." Wait. "Doesn't matter."
Had to adjust vocabulary a little, just in case. "Anyway. I'd not have asked you out if I thought you'd have weak conversation." Bill looked interesting. She was interesting now too, trying to figure out how to best appeal. It was fun to watch. "I like whoever's worth my time. No matter the gender."
"Gender is dumb anyway. I never get why people care. It's just a weapon you use against people. Makes boys dicks and girls dumb. The only reason we keep it is cause we can use it ourselves. Then boys can hit and girls can manipulate." Bill mused aloud, clearly not thinking before she spoke. She just said what was in her head. When the drinks were brought over, she took hers and drank a few gulps. She hadn't had anything to drink yet today, she didn't often get thirst if she took methamphetamines the night before.
She looked at Barty curiously. He was smart, she could tell. The language use, the way he thought, the way he acted and dressed. He was a classy sort of guy. She had no idea if she was worth a conversation with him but she figured she'd at least give him a laugh before they fucked. So she could play it up a bit. "So what's it like being a lawyer? It must be really difficult. I could never."
"That's enough reading. I've got to get up early tomorrow," Barty announced as they reached the end of the chapter - he was reading The Hobbit to Bill. It was sweet how much she got into it, but it was getting late.
He closed the book and set it aside, then rolled over to look at Bill. They had spent a couple of nights together by now. Not every night, but more than his usual share with one person. He assumed he'd have to curb that down soon or things would get unnecessarily messy. "If you get up in time tomorrow, I can drop you off somewhere before I head to the office."
He wasn't certain where Bill had to be in the morning. Probably nowhere.
"I don't really have anywhere to be. Don't worry about me. I'll just walk somewhere. I usually kill my day looking at the cool things in store windows and texting Crowley." Her best friend had A-Levels so a lot of her day was empty nothingness until either a boy was free to play with or Crowley was. Sometimes she helped Holden but not often, it was kind of boring to sort books.
"Sorry for keeping you up. I just wanted to know the hobbit wins the riddle game." It was a fun book, she had to admit that. Originally the idea of reading was just something to send her to sleep but now, she found herself oddly engaged. "It's cool. This reading lark. I wish I'd done it more as a kid, like. Then I might be better at it now."
"It's never too late to start." Although obviously too late for an early start and a lot of the advantages that came with it. Barty reached over to run a hand along Bill's stomach, simply to touch. He liked the feel of Bill's skin under his palm. He liked waking up next to Bill, even, which had been a strange realisation. "I can lend you the book, if you want. You can continue reading."
He assumed that was not about to happen, but at least he could offer it. "Anyway, you can sleep in if you want. Just make sure to close the door properly whenever you leave."
"Nah, I like when you read it. I'm hoping I can seduce you long enough to get to an end." Bill confessed as she smiled at Barty, wondering how long it would be before he kicked her out for good. She had guess two days ago so it was a surprise they were even still doing this. Barty was perfect, great in bed, sweet yet stable and just distant enough to make him exciting. There was no way she was pulling him long term. Even if he was trusting her in his house and everything.
"I prefer movies myself. I don't get chance to watch a lot but I see 'em on the telly." Bill admitted, wondering if that was seen as less interesting than books to Barty. "I like all kinds. I'll watch most stuff. I got my favourites and all."
"I never got into that. Probably because I never watched anything growing up." His weird upbringing hat been thoroughly established. "Television is one of the devil's tools."
Obviously. Barty smirked and shook his head. "I never got around to buying one. Maybe you should help me pick something out. Then you can tell me what I should watch." If Bill was letting him show her books, it seemed only fair to make it an even trade. "I'd have to rearrange stuff to fit a television in... Where should I put it?"
"Uh... Living room, if you're fancy or bedroom, if you're lazy." Bill answered and then looked at Barty before deciding. "I guess, for you, living room. You can't have it facing a window so maybe that corner where you have the plant stand. You could move the plant out of the sun then - I think it's over sunned anyway." A little thing she had learned from Crowley and her weird plant obsession.
"You could get a nice, black TV stand with space for like... I guess you don't have DVDs or video games. Maybe you could put nick-knacks." Bill sat up and practically hung herself off the edge of the bed, trying to peer through the open door as she looked at the living room layout. "It would look good!"
"I can imagine." Mostly he was looking at Bill's ass, which was looking great from this angle. It was sweet, seeing her enthusiasm over this, listening to her plot how it all ought to look. "The plant is only there because my brother thinks this place is depressing."
Giacomo was odd and had a weird relationship with pineapple plants, in Barty's opinion. "We can go shopping tomorrow. I'm sure you'll pick out something nice. Then you can watch your movies there."
"Really? Cool! I have some ideas. We can go to Wilko... does Wilko still exist? Wait, no, Argos? Dunelm for you, ain't it? Fancy boy." Bill teased as she kept looking at the living room, wriggling around tantalisingly. "I know exactly what movie we will watch first. Have you ever seen 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'?"
Bill slowly pushed herself up and began to perfectly mimic Marilyn Monroe's movements from her favourite scene. "A kiss on the hand may be quite continental but diamonds are a girl's best friend."
She did nearly fall off the bed doing it but hey, it was definitely part of the charm. "A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental on your humble flat or help you at the automat. Men grow cold as girls grow old and we all lose our charms in the end. But square-cut or pear-shaped, these rocks don't lose their shape. Diamonds are a girl's best friend!"
no subject
With a frown, she paused and stared at the poorly drawn map. This was just ridiculous. She really needed to get a proper phone with google and the like so she could do what the others seemed to do. Barty had told her that this was the plan going forward if she wanted to live in the real world. And it seemed awfully wise.
This was definitely not working. Did Gabriel even know where she was supposed to go? What on Earth was the 'sinful place, AVOID!' and where was it? She needed to find it to find the crossing that lead to the 'cinema - don't do in'. And from there, it was a squiggly, confusing line onwards to home.
Maybe she should just call Barty but that was embarrassing. Who couldn't find their way home? She looked at the street signs for a moment and then looked for the nearest person she could approach. Ah! A fellow female. Excellent.
"Hello! Can you help me?"
no subject
"What do you need help with?" It was only now, after taking a step closer, that she realised the weirdly drawn thing the girl was holding was supposed to be a map. Ah, all right. That explained it. "Can't find your way around?"
Crowley tilted her head to get a better look at the map, immediately frowning. "Not surprised. Doesn't have the best sense of orientation, whoever gave you that map."
no subject
She looked around the streets and then peered off into the distance, squinting. "I've never had to navigate and today is the day I've learned that I'm quite poor at it."
Zira laughed and then smiled at Crowley. There was no side-eyeing, no concern, no worry. Just open friendliness.
no subject
She inspected the map for a few moments longer and then looked up, somehow catching the girl's eyes. Damn. What was that look in them? So trusting. She couldn't remember anyone ever looking at her like that, it was strange. Warming somehow. "If you want I can walk you home."
What.
"Just tell me your address, we can use my phone." She had already pulled out her phone. She was holding it out to the absolute stranger whose smile lit up the world. What was happening?
no subject
With a smile, she took the phone and put in the location of her home without a moment of doubt or concern that she was giving her home address to a stranger. "We don't have to go all the way but if you could put me on the right track, I'd be tickled pink."
Handing the phone back, Zira looked at it curiously as Crowley started to find her location. "I'm Zira, by the way. I'm relatively new here."
no subject
And taking care of someone who trusted strangers so easily and said things like 'tickled pink'? That was definitely nice. "It's a bit of a walk."
It was forty minutes. Hell. "How come you're not getting a ride today?"
no subject
Not that they were happy with Barty dropping her off either but it was the lesser of two evils.
"My brothers are a little bit overprotective. For some reason, they seem to worry about me." Zira seemed utterly baffled by as she put her map away and proceeded to walk along with a total stranger, entirely happily. "Do you go to school around here?"
no subject
Here was hoping that was going to go well this time. "I reckon you've already got all that. What are you taking at school?" Probably something smart and proper. Whatever that was. Needlepoint? Crowley had no idea.
It was an interesting thought. Overprotective brothers. Crowley would be happy never to see any of her siblings again.
no subject
She hadn't told her family that she had dropped religious studies and philosophy in favour business, English literature and economics. It felt like a dirty secret she had but she had plans in her head and she really didn't want to waste time. She may never get to university but she could at least get A levels.
"I'm hoping to one day -- well, you can't tell anyone this, not that you would, of course but -- one day I want to open a bookshop. So I'm already planning ahead." There was a nervous laugh as she toyed with the buttons on her coat. "My family wouldn't approve but I've always wanted one. I do love books. Don't you?"
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
Clearly not a fan of being punctual then. Ah, well. Would have been a shock with someone like that. "Are you hungry? They've got food here."
She sure looked as if she could use a decent meal.
no subject
Coming over to Barty, she smiled at him. "Sorry I'm late, a girl has to look her best and all that."
Pulling out a chair, she dropped down and shrugged out of her coat, leaning forward on the table. "I could eat." She assumed it was bar food so nothing too fancy. "Do they do anything fun?"
no subject
There, that was his endorsement. He glanced at the menu and moved it over so Bill could have a look. "Can you handle spicy food? If not, go with the flatbread or the halloumi fries."
He assumed it was understood that he was paying, but he clarified anyway. "My treat."
no subject
She was so-so on it but for some reason, it always impressed men when she ate spicy stuff so she had built up a resistance.
"I like a boy who treats." It was nice. Real nice. It had been a while since a boy had paid for her. "What did I do to get that lucky?"
no subject
"You've not done anything yet. But I make a decent amount of money at my job, seems a waste not to use it to get laid."
There, no false pretence necessary. "Anyway. Don't always feel like eating by myself. You looked interesting." He looked her over again and shrugged. "Hot. Makes for good company."
no subject
Bill batted her eyelids playfully and leaned back in her chair, looking around the place before looking back at Barty. "I pegged you as gay, most guys that buy from Holden's place are. You don't get many bi guys. It's weird, isn't it? I meet a dime a dozen bi girls but so few bi guys."
It didn't click for her. Maybe guys were just shyer about some things. "Trans boys tend to be pretty flex too but there's something about guys and swinging either direction."
no subject
Had to adjust vocabulary a little, just in case. "Anyway. I'd not have asked you out if I thought you'd have weak conversation." Bill looked interesting. She was interesting now too, trying to figure out how to best appeal. It was fun to watch. "I like whoever's worth my time. No matter the gender."
no subject
She looked at Barty curiously. He was smart, she could tell. The language use, the way he thought, the way he acted and dressed. He was a classy sort of guy. She had no idea if she was worth a conversation with him but she figured she'd at least give him a laugh before they fucked. So she could play it up a bit. "So what's it like being a lawyer? It must be really difficult. I could never."
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
He closed the book and set it aside, then rolled over to look at Bill. They had spent a couple of nights together by now. Not every night, but more than his usual share with one person. He assumed he'd have to curb that down soon or things would get unnecessarily messy. "If you get up in time tomorrow, I can drop you off somewhere before I head to the office."
He wasn't certain where Bill had to be in the morning. Probably nowhere.
no subject
"Sorry for keeping you up. I just wanted to know the hobbit wins the riddle game." It was a fun book, she had to admit that. Originally the idea of reading was just something to send her to sleep but now, she found herself oddly engaged. "It's cool. This reading lark. I wish I'd done it more as a kid, like. Then I might be better at it now."
no subject
He assumed that was not about to happen, but at least he could offer it. "Anyway, you can sleep in if you want. Just make sure to close the door properly whenever you leave."
no subject
"I prefer movies myself. I don't get chance to watch a lot but I see 'em on the telly." Bill admitted, wondering if that was seen as less interesting than books to Barty. "I like all kinds. I'll watch most stuff. I got my favourites and all."
no subject
Obviously. Barty smirked and shook his head. "I never got around to buying one. Maybe you should help me pick something out. Then you can tell me what I should watch." If Bill was letting him show her books, it seemed only fair to make it an even trade. "I'd have to rearrange stuff to fit a television in... Where should I put it?"
no subject
"You could get a nice, black TV stand with space for like... I guess you don't have DVDs or video games. Maybe you could put nick-knacks." Bill sat up and practically hung herself off the edge of the bed, trying to peer through the open door as she looked at the living room layout. "It would look good!"
no subject
Giacomo was odd and had a weird relationship with pineapple plants, in Barty's opinion. "We can go shopping tomorrow. I'm sure you'll pick out something nice. Then you can watch your movies there."
Whatever movies those were.
no subject
Bill slowly pushed herself up and began to perfectly mimic Marilyn Monroe's movements from her favourite scene. "A kiss on the hand may be quite continental but diamonds are a girl's best friend."
She did nearly fall off the bed doing it but hey, it was definitely part of the charm. "A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental on your humble flat or help you at the automat. Men grow cold as girls grow old and we all lose our charms in the end. But square-cut or pear-shaped, these rocks don't lose their shape. Diamonds are a girl's best friend!"
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)